Tuesday, December 14, 2004

“Sometimes children do that.”

After an extremely rough night of two ear infections, one wet bed, and a teething baby, I wasn’t exactly feeling up to being Super Mom today. The morning started out real slow, with me taking a moment to rest both before and after my shower. The kids were reacquainting themselves with Playhouse Disney like never before, and I didn’t even have the energy to feel guilty. I was slowly pulling myself together when my youngest daughter (3) asked if she could brush my hair. She adores all things girly, including makeup, getting her hair done, and twirling in any place at any time, hence her knick-knack name, Twinkle Toes. Frankly, it sounded pretty relaxing, so I agreed. Like any hair dresser, she immediately initiated conversation with her client. It went something like this:

Twinkle Toes: Your hair is beautiful.
Me: Why thank you.
Twinkle Toes: I’m going to brush it like this (gently brushing and separating it into three sections), and then give you braids.
Me: Cool, I like braids
Twinkle Toes: I’m going to give you snails.
Me: Hmm.
Twinkle Toes: First I have to tie them (twisting strands). My friend Sloan showed me this. From a book. One of your books. The one with the Eagle. Then I showed her the snails.
Me: That was nice of you.
Twinkle Toes: Yes. Daddy was angry with me…because I didn’t listen. Some times children do that.
Me: Oh yeah?
Twinkle Toes: Yes, they did it long ago.
Me: Children should listen to their mommies and daddies.
Twinkle Toes: Sometimes children listen. Sometimes they don’t. I learned that. From a book. One of your books.
Me: The one with the Eagle?
Twinkle Toes: (exasperated) No mommy. That one’s about snails.
Me: Yes, I forgot.
Twinkle Toes: You look beautiful mommy.

She spoke in the same soft, dreamy voice the whole conversation, and was very proud of herself when she finished. I was very proud of her as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a very sweet story! I enjoyed reading it!

Christine
http://mommy-matters.blogspot.com

Suzanne said...

I had to laugh at this one! very cute.
My step daughter also likes to play "beauty parlor" and does my hair...usually in a million different colored ribbons that trail down my back, and every single sparkly clippy that she owns...all at once! gorgeous darlink, gorgeous!

The Mac Fam said...

How sweet is she!! I want a girl.